Current and Ongoing Projects:
The work focuses on identifying and cloning genes for traits in soil pseudomonads, namely Pseudomonas fluorescens, which aid in their survival and competitiveness. Each gene becomes part of a library of potentially moveable traits by which to engineer bacteria for bioremediation and crop improvement. Insights provided by studies of Pseudomonas fluorescens have relevance to infectious traits in Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- DeFlaun, M.F., A.S. Tanzer, A.L. Joseph, B. Marshall and S.B. Levy (1990). Development of an adhesion assay and characterization of an adhesion-deficient mutant of Pseudomonas fluorescens. Appl. Env. Microb. 56:112-119.
- DeFlaun, M.F., B.M. Marshall, E.-P. Kulle, and S.B. Levy (1994). Tn5 insertion mutants of Pseudomonas fluorescens defective in adhesion to soil and seeds. Appl. Env. Microb. 60:2637-2642.
- Casaz, P., A. Happel, J. Keithan, D. Read, S. Strain and S.B. Levy. (2001) The Pseudomonas fluorescens transcriptional activator AdnA is required for adhesion andmotility. Microbiology 147: 355-361.
- Marshall, B., E. Robleto, R. Wexler, P. Casaz and S.B. Levy. (2001) The AdnA transcriptional factor affects persistence and spread of Pseudomonas fluorescens under natural field conditions. Appl. Env. Microb. 67: 852-857.
- Robleto, E.A., I. Lopez-Hernandez, M.W. Silby and S.B. Levy. (2003) Genetic analysis of the AdnA regulon in Pseudomonas fluorescens: non-essential role of flagella in adhesion to sand and biofilm formation. J. Bacteriol. 185:453-460.
- Silby, M.W. and S.B. Levy (2004). Use of in vivo expression technology to identify genes important in growth and survival of Pseudomonas fluorescens Pf0-1 in soil: discovery of expressed sequences with novel genetic organizations. J. Bacteriol. 186: 7411-4719
- Silby, M.W., P.B. Rainey, & S.B. Levy (2004) IVET experiments in Pseudomonas fluorescens reveal cryptic promoters at loci associated with recognizable overlapping genes. Microbiology. 150:518-520
- Silby, M.W. and S.B. Levy. (2008). Overlapping protein-encoding genes in Pseudomonas fluorescens Pf0-1. PLoS genetics 4(6):e1000094.
- Silby, M.W., J.S. Nicoll & S.B. Levy. (2009). Requirement of Polyphosphate by Pseudomonas fluorescens Pf0-1 for competitive fitness and heat tolerance in laboratory media and sterile soil. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 75: 3872-81.
- Kim, W., M.W. Silby, S.O. Purvine, J.S. Nicoll, K.K. Hixson, M.Monroe, C.D. Nicora, M.S. Lipton, and S.B. Levy. (2009). Proteomic Detection of Non-Annotated Protein-Coding Genes in Pseudomonas fluorescens Pf0-1. PLoS One 4(12):e8455
- Silby, M. and S.B. Levy. Overlapping protein-encoding genes in Pseudomonas fluorescens
Pf0-1 PlosGenet (2008) 4(6): e 1000094
- Silby, M. W., Nicoll, J. S., and Levy, S. B. (2009) Requirement of polyphosphate by Pseudomonas
fluorescens Pf0-1 for competitive fitness and heat tolerance in laboratory media and sterile soil.
App. Environ. Microbiol.75:3872-3881.
- Kim, O.K., L. K. Garrity-Ryan, V. J. Bartlett, M. C. Grier, A. K. Verma,
G. Medjanis, J. E. Donatelli, A. B. Macone, S. K. Tanaka, S. B. Levy, and M. N.
Alekshun. (2009) N-Hydroxybenzimidazole Inhibitors of the transcription factor LcrF in
Yersinia: novel antivirulence agents. J. Med. Chem. 52: 5626-5636
- Silby, M. W., et al. (2009). Genomic and functional analyses of diversity and plant interactions of Pseudomonas fluorescens. Genome Biology10(5):R51